The great outdoors in Virginia’s Gateway Region includes state parks, wildlife refuges, outdoor racing and festivals, two major rivers and more. For fans of fast cars and sports, there are numerous sports complexes, local pickup games, organized events and sports teams. Virginia Beach, Washington, D.C. and even the Appalachian mountains are so close that they make great one-day excursions. The University of Virginia sporting events in Charlottesville, Richmond Flying Squirrels baseball games, NASCAR races, Shenandoah National Park, and the Outer Banks beaches of North Carolina offer even more opportunities in a 100-mile radius.
Select a community name below for more information about local opportunities for outdoor recreation and sports.
- Chesterfield County
Chesterfield County offers a breadth of opportunities for family fun and outdoor recreation. Here are some of the highlights!
- Chesterfield County Park System
- Dutch Gap Conservation Area
- Ironbridge Sports Park
- Metro Richmond Zoo
- Peak Experiences
- Pocahontas State Park
- Presquile National Wildlife Refuge
- The XZone
- YMCA - Camp Thunderbird
- Dutch Gap Boat Ramp – 441 Coxendale Road, (804) 706-9690
- Robius Landing Park – 3800 James River Road, (804) 751-4696
- Seven Springs Marina and Store – 8631 River Road, (804) 590-3671
- Birkdale Golf Club
- Brandermill Country Club
- First Tee Chesterfield
- The Highlands Golf Course
- Independence Golf Club
- Lake Chesdin Golf Club
- Meadowbrook Country Club
- Providence Golf Club
- Putt Putt Fun Center
- River’s Bend Golf Club
- Rockwood Golf
- Salisbury County Club
- Stonehenge Golf and Country Club
- Windy Hill Golf & Sports Complex
- ACAC Fitness & Wellness Center
- American Family Fitness Midlothian – 13211 Midlothian Turnpike 804-378-7667
- American Family Fitness Swift Creek – 4751 Brad McNeer Parkway, 804-763-1111
- Iron Pile Gym – 10601 Genito Road, 804-744-0065
- Ladies Workout Express – 12137 South Chalkey Road, 804-768-6386
- Slim & Tone – 11984 Ironbridge Road, 804-778-7546
- Chester YMCA
- Manchester YMCA
- Midlothian YMCA
- Swift Creek Family YMCA
- The City of Colonial Heights
White Bank Park in Colonial Heights spans 22 acres and includes a disc golf course, two playgrounds, two volleyball courts, a fishing pier and boat ramp.
Colonial Heights Sports Backers support the city’s athletic programs and facilities ranging from bowling, track and field to soccer and much more.
Check out the City of Colonial Heights Park System website for additional information and resources.
- Appomattox River via ramp at Roslyn Landing
- Swift Creek via ramp at White Bank Park
- Dinwiddie County
Take your boat or canoe out on Lake Chesdin or just soak up the sun along the shoreline.
- Cozy Cove Marina, 713 Sutherland Rd Church Road, VA, (804) 265-9000
- Lake Chesdin via Chesdin Resevoir ramps
- Whippernock Marina & Campground, 2700 Sutherland Rd Sutherland, VA, (804) 265-5252
- The City of Hopewell
Enjoy the outdoor opportunities at the confluence of the James and Appomattox Rivers in Hopewell. Highlights include:
- The City of Petersburg
Hit the trails or the back nine; or, take the family out to a ball game or bowling alley.
Recreation & Sports
- Appomattox River and Heritage Trail
- Dogwood Trace Golf Course
- Petersburg National Battlefield biking trails: Where else can you merge the past with the present while taking your bike on off-road trails? It is a whole new way to experience history and get active.
- Petersburg Generals Minor League Baseball: The famous Generals in Petersburg aren’t only those from the Civil War’s past but also the summer wood-bat baseball team comprised of the top college players in the nation. Amidst the cornfields, come out to see the Generals play ball at the Petersburg Sports Complex.
- Prince George County
Spend a day with the great outdoors in a national wildlife refuge or out on the water, or get your adrenaline pumping with some go-kart racing in Prince George.
- Appomattox Boat Harbor: boat ramp accessible for small fee
- James River National Wildlife Refuge: Spot a bald eagle amidst the 4,200 acres of forest and wetlands, fish along the riverfront, or hunt in the designated areas.
- Jordan Point Yacht Haven: marina and country club facilities
- Prince George County Parks and Recreation
- Swaders Sports Park: go-karts, batting cages, driving range, minigolf, arcade, corporate meeting space
- Surry County
Besides being within an hour’s travel of Richmond, Hampton Roads, and Historic Williamsburg, Surry County has a lot to see and do.
- Chanco on the James: retreat center and summer camp facility
- Chippokes Plantation State Park: one of the oldest working farms in the United States, the park also includes a swimming complex, picnic area and hiking/biking trails as well as camp sites.
- Hog Island Wildlife Management Area: hunting, fishing and bird watching
- Organized community summer sports camp: One of the best communities for young people according to America’s Promise Alliance, Surry County offers this camp for kids of all ages.
- Slades Park: motorcycle and dirt bike trail riding
- Surry County Parks and Recreation
- Public boat access to the James River is available at Lawnes Creek.
- Sussex County
Sussex County is only a short drive from Richmond, Virginia Beach and Raleigh, NC. With so much to offer outdoors enthusiasts, it’s a must-visit county: