The City of Hopewell is located at the confluence of the Appomattox and James Rivers. The 11-square-mile inland port community is on I-295 with quick access to I-64, I-85 and I-95, making it an excellent location to serve East and Midwest markets. The strategic river location was once considered for an early English colony, later served as an important Civil War staging area and then munitions depot and now industrial production center for large companies such as WestRock, Ashland and Evonik. Besides its importance to local industry, Hopewell has experienced concentrated revitalization efforts in its vibrant downtown community, bringing new recreation and business opportunities.
At A Glance
|2010||2015||5-Year Change||2020 Projection|
- Electricity: Dominion Virginia Power
- Waste Management: Central Virginia Waste Management Authority
- Natural Gas: Columbia Gas of Virginia
- Telecommunications: Mid-Atlantic Broadband, Earthlink, Comcast, Verizon, Windstream
|Type||Assessment Ratio||Nominal Tax Rate|
|Non-Manufacturer’s Personal Property||60% year 1, reduced by 10%/year (min. 20%)||$3.50|
|Machinery & Tools||25%||$3.05|
- A. Donald McEachin, D, 4th
Virginia House of Delegates
- Lashrecse D. Aird, D, 63rd
- Carrie E. Coyner, R, 62nd
- Joseph D. Morressy, D, 16th
Sources: U.S. Census Bureau’s 2011-2015 American Community Survey (December 2016), Weldon Cooper Center’s Virginia Population Projections (March 2017), Virginia Department of Education, Virginia Economic Development Partnership’s 2016-2017 Guide to Local Business Taxes.