VGR fosters regional prosperity through business growth, powerful partnerships and delivering innovative resources to its communities.
VGR’s one-stop convenience provides the following site location services for companies looking for a new location and for existing companies with expansion potential:
- Site-selection assistance
- Property information
- Labor market analysis
- Commercial market analysis
- Financial contacts
- Job-training assistance
- Customized research
- Build-to-suit/design-build coordination
- Access to regulatory authorities
- Employee recruitment assistance
- Coordination of state and local assistance
- Custom region and site tours
- Meetings and introductions with business contacts
- Facilitate discussion with government entities
- Tri-Cities: Colonial Heights, Hopewell and Petersburg
- Surrounding counties: Dinwiddie, Prince George, Surry and Sussex
Explore all of our communities in detail here.
Virginia’s Gateway Region began as The Appomattox Basin Industrial Development Corporation (ABIDCO), formed on April 2, 1960 by a small group of area businessmen who had a vision of “attracting business and industry to the Petersburg, Colonial Heights and Hopewell area.” For the next 25 years, it operated with a part-time staff tasked with “hosting the activities of industrial prospects.” In 1985, under new leadership that recognized the region’s emerging potential, ABIDCO embarked on its new direction of becoming a more active participant in shaping the future economic climate of the area. Since then, VGR has grown into the economic development partnership between public entities and private industry that it is today. The region’s economy is still evolving and VGR is leading the course for the next 50 years, aiming to ensure the region is a place where global markets become local opportunities and where access is everything.